Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce
Microwave, Frying Pan, Saucepan, Skewer, Paper Towel, Slotted Spoon
1 sweet potato (approx. 275g) [washed]
1/2 cup flour
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes (125g) [halved]
1 small onion or 1/2 large onion
1 stalk parsley
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tbsp chili flakes
salt, pepper, olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Using a skewer, pierce the sweet potato all over
2. Wrap in damp kitchen paper towels and microwave on high for 5 minutes
3. Check it is soft and tender using a knife, and if it is not cooked, microwave for another minute. Repeat until done then leave to cool
4. To make the sauce, chop the onion and garlic and cook in a little olive oil in the frying pan.
5. When softened, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes, then add the canned tomatoes and chopped parsley. Season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Take the frypan off the heat and bring a saucepan of water to the boil.
7. Peel the sweet potato, chop up and place into a bowl, then mash with a fork.
8. Add a spoonful of olive oil, salt and pepper, and add some of the flour then stir to combine. Keep adding flour a little at a time until you have a soft dough. (You may not need all of the flour, just use enough to make a non sticky soft dough)
9. Form the dough into a ball, then divide into four. Roll each quarter into a sausage shape, then cut each into two, then each half into 3.
10. Roll the pieces into a small ball and form into an olive shape. You can use a fork to create indents if you wish to.
11. Drop carefully into the boiling water, and after a minute or two they will rise to the top. 12. Use a slotted spoon to fish them out and place into the pan with the sauce.
13. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.